The Houses of 'Ksan Historical Village
The houses are located on the grounds of the original
Gitxsan village of Gitanmmax.
In 1958, the Skeena Treasure House Association
was formed to build a museum to house some of the treasures and
artifacts of the Peoples of the Upper Skeena. In 1970, it
opened to the beat of ceremonial drums and songs and dances of the
This building is home to the Gitanmaax School of
Northwest Coast Indian Art. The school offers a four-year program
dedicated to the renewal and passing of Northwest Coast art to future
This studio is part of the Kitanmax School curriculum
and is offered as a quality workshop for local print artists. Silkscreen
prints for which Ksan artists are noted, originate here. Although
the studio is not open to the public, some of the works produced
may be purchased in the Gift shop.
Enjoy refreshments and sample traditional aboriginal cuisine. During
the summer, fresh fish is offered in a variety of different styles.
Native foods cookbooks are available in the Giftshop.
This dwelling is the exact structure of the original
museum. Having been physically transported from its first site in
Old Town Hazelton, it was the very beginning of 'Ksan. Today, it
houses various articles of "regalia" displaying all items
of ceremonial clothing worn by those attending a Feast.
The Gitxsan people refer to the Feast as
"yukw". The many inherited rights and privileges at birth,
puberty, marriage and death are maintained and validated by the
ceremonial Feast System.
This house focuses on the lifestyles of the Gitxsan
people before contact with the outside world.
Home | Museum
| Village | Tours
| Gitxsan People | 'Ksan
Contact | Copyright | Links
Toll free: 1-877-842-5518
Hazelton BC V0J 1Y0
This site produced by BC